Monday, December 5, 2011

An Afternoon Walk


Bajajs look like toy cars tearing around the dusty roads in Mikocheni


I love the scaffolding here, irregular wood posts all stacked together under the top level of the construction. It is strange that they are inside the building rather than surrounding the exterior.


More scaffolding at another construction site


I took my first dale dale ride the other day to come back from town, it was really crowded and I struggled to explain to the conductor where I wanted to get off. Luckily a helpful man who understood English told him to stop at the next stop and told me to get off. The vehicle didn't even come to a complete stop and I had to squeeze past other passengers and commuters to get to the door way.


Customised and colourful


A clear Bob Marley reference, you see all kinds of sayings and slogans on the bajajs here. The typography and graphic styles are pretty interesting and unique to here too.


Weather beaten and sun bleached advertising, in the gutter




Another roadside garden centre



More plants for sale along the road





Local honey for sale in re-used Konyagi bottles

I took these photos during an afternoon stroll, I stopped to talk to a guy selling this honey because I thought he was going to ask me for money for photographing his produce. Fortunately he didn't mind and it turns out he was in Holland recently working on an MA, we had a pleasant conversation. Konyagi is a Tanzanian alcoholic drink, I tried it only once and I found it quite sugary. 'It's not vodka, it's not gin - it's konyagi' is the slogan they use. It seems to be incredibly popular here, I've seen many discarded Konyagi bottles along the sides of the roads and many of the bars I've been too have been well stocked with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment