Sunday, February 12, 2012

In Kenya they ride matatus not dala dalas

These are some of the photos I snatched from outside the window of the Matatu into Mombasa town centre. We passed by many road side shops and stalls, bars, hostels, markets, even a rubbish dump and a stray heard of cows and goats.



These makeshift looking wooden stalls and tarpaulin covers are also a common feature in Tanzania




The grass and rubbish on the roadside, the brand painted wall advertising 'Ariel', the detailing at the top of the pink coloured building, the piki-pikis (motorbikes) parked in the shade, just a typical sight here.



Yet another bar, not just every corner here, there are several bars on every street





This screen hides a rubbish dump, on the way back I saw a couple of cows eating some of the debris




This cart has been named the 'Good Shepherd,' I noticed all sorts of names and saying painted and printed on the sides of these whist in Mombasa, I haven't noticed if they do it in Dar-es-Salaam too, but I'll keep an eye out. I saw another with the saying 'One Love,' Bob Marley's presence is definitely felt here.


Just love the contrasts in this image


Looks like our matatu driver is a rap and football fan


The outside of a market absolutely crammed with goods and things for sale, for me it's a headache just looking at it, I can't imagine what it's like to try and go shopping in there.




No comments:

Post a Comment