Sunday, October 14, 2012

Iquitos Photos

Since I did make it out of the hostel for a couple of strolls braving the heat and the weirdos in the streets, I thought I'd put some of the photos I managed to take on my solo walks up.

As I've said before there is evidence of the past wealth of Iquitos during the rubber trade boom, some of the older buildings were clad with some really cool-looking tiles. 

I managed to track down a pair of really bizarre floral sunglasses with a slight cats-eye vibe which didn't survive very long in my backpack. I was hoping to find some cheap but cool clothes but sadly there was nothing that was cheap that didn't look even cheaper than its price.

I got talking to a peruvian guy who was a traveling artisan type, long hair, torn scruffy jeans, he told me he was staying in a hostel for 2 or 4 soles a night which is unbelievably cheap. Cheaper than food and drink. I wouldn't even like to imagine how revolting the interior of his hostel was. He made me a bracelet, I thanked him and we parted ways, I think I vaguely promised to check him later in the main square where he'd be selling his craft, this was a promise I failed to keep.


Some ominous looking birds near Belen market



Strange satellite dishes and cool tiles


Art Nouveau tiles, in very cool colours





A cool looking old sign and boarded up but well maintained windows


Delerium Tremens! Must be more touristy than I realise here then






A strange mixed of Iquitan buildings lined up in one street








Possibly the most rickety bus I've seen so far, I'm astonished but this does actually trump Tanzanian buses




Crumbling Iquitos, like most of Iquitos




Ceviche! Was a bit too scared to eat raw fish whilst in Iquitos...


Yes, some very cool type.



Graff


Love the long slender windows of this building

No comments:

Post a Comment