Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Catching the ferry to Kigamboni
























For some reason, for me, the incredibly short ferry ride to and from Kigamboni is particularly spell binding. I can't put my finger on it, but I find it extraordinary, this may seem strange given the proximity to the stinking fish market and additional smell from the high number of fishing nets and boats, as well as the slightly dirty water from all the enormous ships that come to dock in the harbour. The return journey is my favourite, often traveling back from the beach as night is falling, mixing in with the busy throng of people. The first time I did it, I felt like I had become part of an Indie film, as if I was being swept along with the motion of the sea of people all carrying out the very simple and every day act of catching this boat (it takes five minutes max and runs continuously, always packed with passengers). Every single age bracket and occupation seems to find themselves on that boat - I've seem bridesmaids, a man pushing a bike with a love chicken bound to rear pannier and service men to name but a few. There is just some much going on around and with the sky darkening and the moon rising over the water combined with the fact that its such a short journey so you don't get itchy feet you can fleetingly enjoy it for what it is.


Kigamboni is one long beach, from the shore you can see various islets and watch dhows sail past. There are a few resorts and beach bars, some places where you can camp, it's a very relaxed place. You can sit in the shade of a open sided hut if you buy a drink or you can go right to the end of the beach where there is a lagoon and not have to use any of these services. Here you have the place almost totally to yourself. The only other person that was there was a coconut seller when I went with a few friends.


I'd love to go and stay the night, drink beers and coctails on the beach under the stars at the moment though, that remains on the to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment