Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Shopping in BA


Confession. My backpacker budget was put under quite a lot of strain in Buenos Aires. The shopping was just too good. It all started with an innocent visit to one of the shopping malls with a friend. He'd been in Buenos Aires about 18 months ago with his family and was raving about a cafe he'd been to, we both fancied some mid morning caffeine, so we set out in search of it. Somehow he had completely forgotten where the shopping mall was and even which one he went to. Inside the male mind - how can you forget about good coffee brands and good shops? We ended up in the wrong place (but fortunately for me a bigger, better mall).


I had a moment of dizzying girl delirium. So deprived of shopping after Tanzania, my brain struggled to process everything I was seeing, it was being over-stimulated after so many months of neglect. Nice clothes were everywhere and I wanted all of them. I couldn't stop myself, I was shopping. The practicalities of how can you really afford this with your meagre travel budget, all of which is assigned to travel, food and sleeping were suppressed by the outpour of happy chemicals in my brain telling me everything would be fine and especially if I bought and own the pretty things that were making me smile so much at that moment. Where on earth are they going to fit in your already impossibly heavy and impossibly full backpack, for goodness sake? That's just a minor issue that can be overcome, plus its cool here at night, I need this jumper...and err this mini skirt too.


The flood gates had opened.


Fashion on Buenos Aires is really good. Really good. For a country that has as many ranches as it does with such a tradition of steak eating and parillas it's really no wonder that the leather goods are as good as they are.


For shoes:
Ricky Sarkany
Prune



For clothes:
Cuesta Blanca
Rapsodia


In addition I picked up a copy of Harpers Bazaar Argentina which is celebrating it's first Birthday. It's remarkable to think that Bazaar only just arrived in Argentina when the fashion in the capital is as good as it is, I suppose it goes to show how quickly Argentina recovered from its financial crisis.


Long live shopping in Buenos Aires! I'm already planning my return. Hopefully my bank balance will match my appetite for these clothes. Better get working and saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment