Friday, August 10, 2012

Beautiful Bohemian Barranco

We had an epically long walk which took us all the way from the centre of Miraflores right down to Barranco. Barranco is a small district in Lima known to be the Bohemian, arty quarter.

The last time I was here I had a late night walk with a local guy around some parts of the city and when we hit Barranco I had the sense that we had travelled back in time. Barranco has real colonial, time warp character you can't help but day dream as you walk around. It's charmingly trapped in time, quaint yet imposing at the same, a little bit creepy (haunted house vibe). Probably why I felt like I was walking around a novel. My pictures don't do it justice, it was a haphazard walk with a hostel friend who worked in I.T. and didn't seem to share my lost in literature vibe that day. He was keen to go back to Miraflores to drink and be merry, I would have happily stayed and have some wine and carry on with my Bohemian time travel daydreams.

We bumped into some other friends who were having a cliff top picnic, drinking beers and watching the sun went down over the Pacific.

The hazy light under the clouds in Lima is great, it's as if the sky has been soaked in sunlight, it's always bright but never fierce. Lima is always cloudy but it never rains. It's basically the desert, the last leg of the bus journey from Cusco was a never ending panorama of dry dusty hills, cliffs and stretches of infinite shore, giving out to an infinite ocean. The Pacific is huge, I can't help but picture the globe my dad gave me as a child. Sat on his knee, he used to test my Geography knowledge, the only place I recall ever really recognising was Madagascar. Now in Peru with my backpack, my parents stuck at home worried about me, I wonder if it was him and those days long passed that sowed the first seeds of my wanderlust, who knows). I still have the globe, the Pacific Ocean engulfs whole side of planet earth. Difficult to imagine what lurks in its depths as waves hammer down on this stretch of Peruvian shore.

We got back to Miraflores for some hostal roof top Pisco Sours and I got my ass kicked at pool. 






















I want this house! Renovation project!


No comments:

Post a Comment