Sunday, August 5, 2012

Machu Picchu

After the long walk (by my standards, not for those who raced past me on their last leg of the 4 day Salkantay trek)!

And a terrible mess up over getting my ticket (embarrassingly get the bus having not paid for my ticket too, this was in the afternoon and there is NO way of buying at the door. Sweet talked my way onto a computer at the super posh hotel, no idea how I managed, I think it's more to do with the male staff taking pity on me rather than my feminine charm (or lack there of after no shower, little sleep and a long sweaty walk).

Thank you unknown porter!

So after that small heart attack, I got in!

It looks exactly how it does in pictures which was a little strange - you've never been there before yet it's familiar. For this reason the scenery took centre stage, for me. It really was impressive to think about how they built it and what it must have been like back then. Crazy Incas!





So steep!






Just chilling out at Machu Picchu


High altitude orchid





A llama, tourist photo opportunity...











Peaks, clouds passing and ancient ruins - pretty damn cool!







Eeek - looks like tectonic activity, what if the whole thing disappears down the side of the mountain. It is apparently sliding a few centimeters each year....



Impressive stone work


















I think this is the first of the seven wonders of the world I've ever seen, not sure how I feel about it now...I was waiting for some sort of sermon on the mountain, unfortunately that didn't happen, so I'll have to carry on with my directionless travel and directionless future....


And find something to eat....

No comments:

Post a Comment